The Italian town of Angera is located in the province of Varese (Lombardy). It lies on the southeastern shore of Lake Maggiore, situated in a beautiful bay. Angera was appreciated for its enviable position, the control of trade in the area south of Lake Maggiore. Angera is divided into the following areas: Barzola Bruschera, Capronno, La Rocca, San Quirico, Isolino Partegora, Fornetto, Cascinetta.
Until the end of 1870, the landscape of the town of Angera, along the southern shore of Lake Maggiore, was characterized by the presence of vineyards and resulting quality wines. Production in the vineyards in the fortress of Rocca Angera are a clear testimony that confirms the history of this wine-growing tradition.
Places of interest
In the center of Angera theere is the church of Santa Maria Assunta which dates from the fifteenth century. It is decorated with eighteenth-century frescoes. Its by trees covered walkway along the lake is the meeting place of the inhabitants of Angera and the place for important events related to life in the city, such as the market on Thursday morning or events related to the celebration of the sanctuary in late June. On the shore of the lake began in 1657 the construction of the Sanctuary of the Madonna della Riva. But it was never completed due to lack of funds and other problems during construction. The sanctuary remained in an unfinished state, as currently demonstrated by its outward appearance.
In 1753 a small bell was built on the back. In 1943 the facade was rebuilt in a modern style, designed by Rino Ferrini. The Archaeological Museum is housed in a building dating back to the fifteenth century, and is home to many of the important finds from the Roman era. Another interesting place is the Oasis of Bruschera. A protected nature area where you can enjoy the typical flora and fauna of Lake Maggiore.
In pre-Roman times there was a settlement of a local tribe of Vico Sebuini a name of Celtic origin.
After Roman rule a significantly expanded military post was established on the rocky spur, it preceded the construction of the main tower of the castle. The first name of this place which is known was "Stazzona", probably to indicate the control of trade along the lake. In the Middle Ages turned it into "Anglería" etymology is uncertain, but probably meant the "gravel", which are present in abundance in the alluvial soil at this location.
In 1300 there were 20 religious buildings in the territory of Angera. Angera is best known for the massive castle Rocca di Angera. A cliff that overlooks the entire area. The earliest mention of the building dates back to 1066. La Rocca di Angera is open to the public during most of the year and has an impressive collection of antique dolls. The spectacular views of the majority of the medieval rooms are nicely renovated.
Already in Roman times a reinforced structure was located on the site of the Rocca Angera. Later it was the property of archbishops of Milan was. In the thirteenth century the building was passed to the Visconti family who rebuildied it as a majestic fortress which dominates the whole area with hinterland. In 1449 it was bought by the Borromeo family, and now still they are the owners of the castle. Since April 1954, by decree of the President of the Republic, the official name is Angera city.