Luino is a town a few kilometers from the Swiss border. It lies between 193 and 630 meters above sea level and about 23 km from the city of Varese. Luino town lies on the eastern shore of Lake Maggiore.
It is the largest town on the Lombard side of the lake. The city is located at the river mouth of river Tresa. By this river is Lake Maggiore in connection with Lago di Lugano, and the water flows from the mountains surrounding Lake Lugano into Lake Maggiore
Luino is a typical seaside resort in the Mediterranean. The impressive lines of trees around the old town give the city something special. These trees are planned in the days of Napoleon.
The Roman Luino village is first mentioned in official medieval documents and dates back to 1169 under the name Luvino and retained this name until 1889. During the Middle Ages Luino was contested between powerful families in Milan and Como, but was occupied in 1512 by Switzerland.
Later in 1515 the city was recaptured by Filippo Maria Visconti. In 1541 it was Charles V of Spain which usurped the right of the market. In 1848 it was the patriots of Piedmont who landed here to protect the people against foreign occupation and fought so against the Austrians. In the second half of the nineteenth century, scattered along the lively Luinese coast brought industrialization serious damage to the lake. Storing waste is only a concept in modern times, but in those days they did not think about it. The harmonious architecture of the old town has been preserved and was overlooking the lake. Besides all the town also has a small fishing port. Even now Luino has several industrial activities. One of the most important industries is the production of textiles. Tourism is another important source of income, especially during the summer season. And not to mention the weekly market on Wednesday, attracts many visitors.
Places of interest
The main attractions are: the church of San Pietro, especially the Romanesque bell tower (eleventh century), shows all its beauty. The church of San Giuseppe whose organ from the eighteenth century has just been restored and has a remarkable altar with valuable pieces.